Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Manchester Indoor BMX track

Last week I headed up to Manchester to check out the new indoor BMX track. There's been a lot of comments about the track, particularly about the first jump so I was intregued to see what it was really like. The set up is like a Worlds track with an SX 8m start hill and a 5m amateur hill next to it. I have obviously ridden an SX hill before but never the 5m one. It's still pretty fast! I have to be honest though, I couldn't really see too much problem with the first jump... yeh, I can jump it, but that's irrelevant. What I did see was someone worse than 50/50 case it twice, and not look anywhere near crashing, and someone roll it fast next to someone jumping it and they didn't lose much ground. A jump that's a little bit quicker to jump than roll seems about right to me. Of course, if you do crash on it, it's gonna hurt....but it's not a bad jump, it's because of the speed you are going off that hill, the risks are gonna be higher whatever you are taking off at that speed. If you don't want to take those risks it can be rolled fast from what I saw, this may not be the case straight away but everything takes practice, you can always build up yor speed gradually. I can tell you I certainly didn't pedal 100% down a SX hill on my first few goes! I know some people won't necessarily agree or like my opinion, but everyone else has openly expressed theirs, so there you go, that's mine!

Anyway, after passing my BMX proficiency test, I had a good time sessioning the track, particularly the 2nd straight, it's fast and flowy! I didn't think I'd go back quite so soon, but when Jools invited a few of us to join Braintrees club session the following weekend and the temperature was in minus figures outside, I thought why the hell not! This time I started to have a little ride down the pro side of the 3rd straight, but left it a bit too late in the session. I jumped the first two and two on my last couple of goes, but didn't have time to work out what to do next as it was home time! I remembered the SD card for my Go Pro this week and took a few clips in the last half hour. Check it out...




..................................................................................................................................
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]